What is it about wearing red that makes the wearer feel so beautiful, powerful and glamorous?
According to Wikipedia, the "red dress effect" is a phenomenon in which people wearing red clothing, such as a red dress, are perceived to be more sexually appealing than they are when wearing other colors. This effect is thought to act subconsciously, although its effect can be large.
Folklore, mythology and literature associate red with fertility, and women are thought to have worn the equivalent of a red lipstick as early as 10,000 B.C. and so sexual receptiveness and red are most likely the result of social conditioning. This social conditioning may have originated for biological and evolutionary reasons, and is simply an extension of our primal instincts.
Red exudes power, energy, excitement and passion. It makes peoples' hearts beat faster. If you're trying to appear assertive, need an energy boost or exude sexuality, red is the color to wear. It's also effective as an accessory to project energy (the reason why you look more awake and refreshed with just a simple swipe of red lipstick on).
Right now, I'm reading a book called A Perfect Red: Empire, Espionage and the Quest for the Color of Desire. I just started reading it at the pool today so I'm not far enough along yet to have an opinion but the subject matter intrigues me. Red is a color that I love but don't wear much. I started out small, by wearing red nail polish. Then, as I got a bit bolder, I set aside my trademark Pepto Bismol pink lipsticks and glosses and started incorporating red lipstick into my beauty routine. Now I can't imagine leaving the house without a tube of YSL Volupté Sheer Candy in Tangy Mandarine, a very bright, orange-y red lipstick.
- Aesthetic Distance: The Power of the Color Red
- Attire Club: The Guide to Wearing a Hawaiian Shirt
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: Currently Crushing…
- Elements of Ellis: Easy Minimalist Nail Tutorial
- Everyday Starlet: The Art of Makeup by Kevin Aucoin Review
- The Fashionista Momma: Floral Printed Skirt
- Fashionopolis: Plus Size Fashion | Alto Moda by Pantaloons
- Happy.Pretty.Sweet.: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Competing in Pageants
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: My First Crop Top
- Layers of Chic: Maxi Dress Perfection
- Les Assorties: Coverstory | Catering to the Plus Size Audience
- Life in the Fash Lane: Cream of the Crop Tops
- Ms. FABulous: Paris Perfume Workshop | How to Blend Your Own Perfume
- Sassy Ethnic Bohemian: Stripes + Red = Magic
- Style with Nihan: Print Shorts and Off the Shoulder Bodysuit
- The Sugar Ribbon: How to Style Fringe
- This Season’s Gold: On the Wedges | A Statement in Ruffled Chambray
- Trendee Toad: Confessions of a First Time Fashion Model
- We Are Ready Made: Juicy Couture
- Wish and Wear: Pretty Polly