While I did not enjoy working in the wedding industry as a bridal makeup artist (I actually threw up in my mouth a little just typing that), I absolutely LOVE attending weddings as a guest! This past weekend was my cousin's wedding and as usual, I was checking out everyone's attire. I noticed that more and more girls are using Rent the Runway (RTR). So far I've only used RTR twice - once for a wedding and once for a photoshoot. I've always had a great experience and would definitely recommend the service since it's so convenient. The price point can't be beat. The Monique Lhuillier gown that I'm wearing above retails for $2990 but I rented it for $185.
Now for the cons. Don't get me wrong. I love RTR but very often I find their selection lacking. They have thousands of dresses and accessories that are very well curated for most customers.....but 99% of their stuff just isn't my style. I like more aggressive, wilder styles and prefer to show a lot more skin. While RTR's concept and delivery are excellent, the reason I've only used their service twice is because I find most of the outfits to be too conservative for my taste. If you like shopping at Ann Taylor Loft or J.Crew, you won't have a problem with it.
There is a new app that functions the same way that RTR does and is called Armarium. It just launched in June 2016 and I downloaded the app to my iPhone last week. Since then, I've been browsing the selection they carry and I have to say, I AM IMPRESSED. It is filled with statement pieces from avant-garde and very high fashion designers. I'm talking Thierry Mugler and Anndra Neen (be still, my heart!!). All the stylists at Armarium have a minimum of 5 years of experience in the field, from working with major celebrities to styling fashion editorials at Nylon and Vogue.
If Rent the Runway is boring ass Kate Middleton, Armarium is Rihanna. The price point is much higher than RTR, which is the biggest con for me. I suspect it might be for most people. Right now the prices for rental are around $450-$900. If you're like me, spending that much money on a RENTAL is just not an option. Maybe if I suddenly got an invite to the Oscars or the MTV Awards.
Maybe when the service isn't so new anymore and more women sign up, the prices will become lower and more affordable. Let's hope so because I already have a long wishlist of outfits to rent on Armarium.
- Aesthetic Distance: What to Wear to a Wedding | A Review of Rent the Runway
- Affordorable: How Often Do You Recycle Your Clothes?
- Anti.Muse FashionRiot: Events | Berlin Fashion Week
- Attire Club: Presenting the InCompany by Attire Club July 2016 Issue
- Chicks N Kicks: Sneaker Diary | Deep in Heart of Haurache
- Couture Crush: Couture Crushin | Layering Lace Trend
- Fash Illuminous: Trend Report | Off the Shoulder Top
- The Fashionista Momma: Floral Jacket and Lace Dress
- Global Garbs: 10 Fashion Blogging Tips We’ve Learned In Our First Year of Blogging
- Grazielle Camilleri: A Touch of Purple
- Happy.Pretty.Sweet.: 45 Blog Ideas When You are Feeling Uninspired
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: Climbing Mount Fuji
- The House Blend: Seaside Sights
- Layers of Chic: Denim Culottes with a Hint of Quirkiness
- Les Assorties’: Introducing | Anekdot
- Middle of Somewhere: Floral Midi Dress
- Moda Addicted: DIY Patched Jeans Featuring Oh Lola
- Sassy Ethnic Bohemian: In Fashion, They Won’t Hear You Scream
- Vanity and Me: Pretty Small Shoes Totally Nude
- We Are Ready Made: Into the Wild