Disclaimer: Aesthetic Distance is 100 percent against violence in all of its vile forms, and I believe firmly in the need for significant gun-control reform in the United States. While in this shoot prop pistols were used in the recreation of scenes from the 1991 film, Thelma and Louise, these images are in NO WAY a glorification of firearms. They are present only due to their artistic, symbolic relevance to the original film’s larger themes.
Complex and powerful female characters can be difficult to find in cinema, which is why 1991's Thelma and Louise has always stood out to me as ahead of its time. Female friendship is another theme that is hard to find in cinema yet it seems like there are about ten male buddy movies every year. For this blog post, I'm throwing it back to the mother of all female buddy movies. Thelma and Louise was realistic and changed the perception of women's roles in society.
The film blended fun elements of the road trip movie and buddy comedy genres with serious issues like domestic abuse, female empowerment and sexual assault. It also acted as a brutal self-commentary on Capitalist America - the women declare their freedom by fatally driving off the edge of the Grand Canyon and gave a huge "fuck you" to the patriarchal society in which it existed.
- Aesthetic Distance: Thelma & Louise: The Ultimate Girl Power Road Trip Movie
- A Glamorous Revelation: A Fashionista’s Reading List
- Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans: Fashion Folio (Summer Nights)
- Cubicle Chic: Business Travel - The Good, the bad and the ugly
- Dresscode: High Fashion: Top 10 Summer Flats
- Elements of Ellis: Striped Maternity Dress
- Everest Says: The Off Shoulder from Work to Weekend
- I’m so Versaille: Get Some Work Done: LVL Lash Treatment
- Happy. Pretty. Sweet: Confessions of a Small Time Blogger
- Les Assorties: Antoine De Almeida: A Fresh Look at Street Style
- Ms. Fabulous: Coney Island Mermaid Parade
- Myself Expressed: Inspiration Board: Spring RTW 2016: Trussardi
- Petite Silver Vixen: How to Style Culottes 3 Ways
- Tales of Two: Going Baroque in Winter
- The Tastemaker: Be like Beyonce and wear a bodysuit
- This Season’s Gold: City View in Stripes and Pockets
- Tokes’ Take on Style: 3 Ways to Style 1 Print Skirt
- Treats and Trends: 5 Most Helpful Photography Tips for Bloggers
- Trendee Toad: 3 Stylish Office Looks for this Summer
- Vanity and Me: Shoetique: Going for Gold